Manchester United news: Memphis Depay explains how he was treated like a ‘naughty child’ during his time at Old Trafford

Manchester United news: Memphis Depay explains how he was treated like a ‘naughty child’ during his time at Old Trafford
Former Manchester United winger Memphis Depay claims he was treated like a ‘naughty child’ by Louis van Gaal during his underwhelming spell with the Red Devils.The Dutch forward failed to make an impact at Old Trafford, scoring just two Premier League goals in as many years, before joining Lyon in 2017.Depay has gone from strength to strength since leaving Unitedgetty2
Depay has gone from strength to strength since leaving United
Since then, the 25-year-old has emerged as one of the most gifted players in Europe and in his new autobiography, he explains how he has matured as an individual.Depay reveals that he approached Ryan Giggs for advice on how to improve as a winger, while former Red Devils boss Van Gaal had different ideas.“After I lost my spot in the starting line-up, I asked assistant coach Ryan Giggs to do extra training with me,” Memphis said in his book ‘Heart of a Lion’. “To work on my crosses with my left foot, to become a better winger. After a while Van Gaal asked me to come to his office. He said that there was nothing wrong with my left foot and that the extra training with Giggs was nonsense. Its all in your head, he also told me.“That struck me. I mean, what could be wrong with trying to become a better player, with the help of a former top-winger like Ryan Giggs? More and more I got the feeling I could do nothing good according to Van Gaal.“Later Van Gaal came to me and told me I had to talk with a mental coach he personally knew. My answer was that I wanted to think about that.7. Memphis Depay (winger)getty2
Depay was a shadow of his current self at Old Trafford
“I was still confident that I would succeed at United, as soon as I was adapted to the higher level of football and to my new life in England.“Later on Van Gaal kept on saying that I needed to talk to that mental coach. It would benefit my focus and concentration level, he said. But I didnt feel like talking to a stranger, also because I had my own mental coach since I was twelve already.“Deep inside I felt that it would cause a problem if I didnt do what Van Gaal told me. But I didnt want to be an actor and pretend that I thought it was a good thing to do. Just to please the manager.

LIVE ON talkSPORT

talkSPORT is your home of live football! Here's what's coming up on talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2...
  • France vs South Korea (Friday, 8pm) – talkSPORT
  • Denmark vs Republic of Ireland (Friday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
  • Croatia vs Wales (Saturday, 2pm) – talkSPORT
  • England vs Scotland (Sunday, 5pm) – talkSPORT
“After my third refusal to talk to that mental coach, Van Gaal didnt speak to me for a long time. I think hes finished with you when you dont follow his advice.“He kept putting me on the bench and at the end of the season he spoke to me again: to say that next year would be even more difficult to me, because United was going to buy new strikers.“Before the last game of the season, the FA Cup-final against Crystal Palace, he even put me on the stands. Like a teacher does at school with a naughty child.”

Raheem Sterling is in blistering form for Manchester City

Man City news and transfers RECAP Gabriel Jesus impresses for Brazil and latest injury news. Gabriel Jesus scored twice for Brazil last night, while Manchester City welcomed back a number of
sharpeze.com

Wilfried Zaha wants to get a move to a Champions League club

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has admitted he agreed with aspects of Roy Keane's rant at Manchester United's flops following their derby defeat by Manchester City.. United fell to a 2-0 defeat at Old
Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer urged to

The socks will match the shirt with white shorts

Mustafi and Ozil start, Guendouzi out - Predicted Arsenal XI vs BATE as Emery goes 4-2-3-1. Arsenal news includes a look at the predicted starting XI to take on BATE Borisov in the Europa League
Arsenal vs Valencia predicted line-up: Gunners wait on Mesut

Marko Arnautovic would be a good fit at Chelsea, Tony Cascarino told talkSPORT

- Napoli want Watford winger Gerard Deulofeu and could offer Amadou Diawara to lower the €30m asking price. (Football Italia) (Football Italia) - Aaron-Wan Bissaka is Man Utd boss Ole Gunnar Solskjær's first choice at right-back but have now held more talks with Paris Saint-Germain for Thomas Meunier as they grow are frustrated with

Solskjaer could be in the Old Trafford hot seat for a while yet
Arsenal's last three clean sheets away from home have all

Jose Mourinho will hope for a drastic improvement on Saturday

Arsenal consider giving Welbeck new deal amid interest from West Ham, Newcastle and Everton. Out-of-contract Arsenal striker Danny Welbeck wanted by Newcastle on free transfer as he battles
Arsenal 'plan to offer Hector Bellerin new contract' to fend

Fans have praised Liverpool’s 2019/20 home shirt
Ivan Perisic: 10 things you didn't know about the Arsenal

These players will never forget this day

Tottenham vs Liverpool result: Disjointed Reds take calculated gamble to clinch Champions League. This all-Premier League final harked back to the days when the word 'English' was a derogatory
2010-11 Tottenham Hotspur F.C. season - Wikipedia

An unsung hero, but Fernandinho is vital to Man City’s style

Football kit news from the English Premier League now as images have appeared online of what appear to be the Puma Newcastle United 2019-20 home shirt. The leaked 2019-20 Newcastle United jersey is black with two thick white vertical stripes running down the front.
Newcastle United's 2019/20 Away Kit Leaks Online & Is Slammed

Simon Francis has never scored in 121 Premier League games

Virgil van Dijk injury: Why Liverpool defender is a doubt for Leicester City game The Fantasy Premier League favourite is owned by 28.3% of managers but faces a race for fitness ahead of Gameweek 24

Fekir could finally get his Premier League move
'John Stones and Aymeric Laporte can become best partnership

Former West Brom coach Alan Pardew is a long shot to take over at Leeds

Emery said: "This is the worst news tonight. It's clear he was playing well and had chances. His injury also affected the mentality of the players as they could see it was a big injury.
Arsenal boss Unai Emery admits Danny Welbeck horror injury

Odegaard in action against Ajax for Vitesse

Liverpool have reportedly nabbed head physio Lee Nobes from Manchester City. The Reds lost their previous physio Matt Konopinski last month when he departed after almost ten years at the club. Konopinski moved on from Merseyside to take up a new challenge with the Football Association, and Liverpool
Man City on lookout after head physio leaves for Liverpool FC

Post a Comment

0 Comments